On my nightstand


I love to read, always have. I could spend hours as a kid reading alone in my room. I think I get this from my Mom- I remember how she liked to retreat with a book on a quiet Sunday afternoon, and to this day we still trade books. I will always have an affection for the old school hard copy book. I mean, just look at them - they are so visually appealing. I read books on my ipad on occasion, but it's just not the same. It's convenient for travel, but I'm not giving up my paper books any time soon.

I usually read several books at a time, one is almost always a novel, so this list isn't 100% typical. But here is what is on my nightstand right now:

1. The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin. I haven't started this one yet but I've heard good things. I'm not usually into self-help books, but recognizing happiness in my every day is something I know I can improve upon. And I like to have at least one book that I can pick up and put down in short stretches - I don't get whole afternoons to read anymore.

2. On Writing by Stephen King. I've read this book by Stephen King before and recently wanted to go through it again. I look at this blog as an exercise in writing (in addition to chronicling big and small moments with the kids) and I know I can always improve my writing. This is one of the best books for aspiring writers.

3. Before you suffocate your own fool self  by Danielle Evans. A collection of short stories is always a good choice when you only have finite amounts of time to read. This collection is written by an African-American woman and I find her perspective on modern day, non-white America eye-opening. I've read all but one or two of the stories.

4. Bringing up Bebe by Pamela Druckerman. I finished this book a few weeks ago and mentioned it previously here. It seems like I almost always have a parenting book on my nightstand these days - and need to find time to read more of them. This book was an easy read and some of the parenting ideas were ones I'd like to emulate, others not so much. But if you are tired of the hyper-parenting so frequently advocated right now, this book is a refreshing change.

5. Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson. I like a good biography when there is a person or a story that I find particularly fascinating. I am not very far into this one yet, but I find Steve Jobs very unlikable and can only read about him in small doses. Good thing I have several other choices when I've had my fill of him.

What about you - reading anything good right now? I'm always looking for new suggestions!

Comments

  1. Reading Steve Jobs too. We both share with our Mom, so we have similar reads. I would like that book,"before you suffocate your own fool self"when you are done. Sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely - you will like it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Children know best

Just say Yes!

Izzy's rainbow party - behind the scenes