Monday, May 7, 2012

10 things about exercise and me



Running the Hospital Hill Half-Marathon with Ryan, circa 2007. Photo credit: K.Tuttle.



10 things - some new, some old - about exercise and me:

1. I ran my first 5K at the age of 10. Since then, I've run more road races than I can count.

2. In college, I was lucky enough to compete in the historic Head of the Charles, the world's largest two-day rowing event.

3. I had what I'm pretty sure amounts to a panic attack in the open water swim of my first triathlon. Thanks, but no thanks.

4. I've run 9 marathons, including the infamous Boston Marathon. My marathon PR is 3:24:40.

5. My favorite race distance is the half-marathon. 5 and 10Ks are too fast, a marathon requires too much time to train.

6. I am really excited that I get to help plan this upcoming meeting.

7. I'd like to run a marathon with my Dad someday. When I am 68, I hope I can still run a 10K under an hour and a half-marathon under 2 hours like he can.

8. I used to teach spinning classes and a boot camp style exercise class.

9. 60: the maximum number of miles I've run in a week. 2: the number of runs I was doing per day. 0: the likelihood I will ever do that again.

10. I am a secret devotee of The Method.

Anything you didn't already know? Anything surprising on this list?

Exercise, in one form or another, has always been a part of my life - and it always will be. The challenge is to keep adjusting my exercise goals and routine to fit my life. When I was single and in graduate school, running was an outlet and a release for stress. As a result, I ran 60 miles a week and several marathons a year. That routine doesn't fit into my life anymore and is completely unrealistic.

I am still trying to find the ideal routine for my life now with two kids and a husband that also values exercise. Saturday evening we went on a family run with the double stroller and made a stop at the park to play along the way. I got some exercise while also spending time with my family. For now, that works and makes me happy.

Find more exercise inspiration and celebrate Exercise is Medicine month here.

2 comments:

  1. You (and Ry) amaze and inspire me - your influence has introduced me to an unbelievable world of being fit and healthy. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks K! You are a true runner now...there is no going back!

      Delete