Seven minute challenge



I can get behind this 7 minute workout. This simple workout was published in a scientific journal, and has research behind it to support its effectiveness. The key to this workout is intensity.


"The exercises should be performed in rapid succession, allowing 30 seconds for each, while, throughout, the intensity hovers at about an 8 on a discomfort scale of 1 to 10...Those seven minutes should be, in a word, unpleasant. The upside is, after seven minutes, you're done." 

Important to know:
"Interval training, though, requires intervals; the extremely intense activity must be intermingled with brief periods of recovery. In the program outlined by Mr. Jordan and his colleagues, this recovery is provided in part by a 10-second rest between exercises. But even more, he says, it’s accomplished by alternating an exercise that emphasizes the large muscles in the upper body with those in the lower body. During the intermezzo, the unexercised muscles have a moment to, metaphorically, catch their breath, which makes the order of the exercises important." 

Three times a week for the month of June. Anyone willing to take this challenge with me?

And because people are just that smart, someone created an app to coordinate the timing of this workout. Now you really have no excuses! Find the app here

Comments

  1. I'm in! I downloaded the app a few weeks ago and I've done it a few times since but I know that I should do it every. single. day. It's only seven minutes, for heaven's sake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan - I know, 7 minutes...no way we can't fit that in! I'm aiming for 3 times a week to be realistic. And I'm also really curious to see if 7 minutes, three times a week can really make a difference in my fitness. The push ups are kicking my butt!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Children know best

Just say Yes!

Izzy's rainbow party - behind the scenes