Cook it yourself

Whew. This week has flown by and I'm not sure where it went. It was another short week with the MLK holiday and no school for the kids. We went to Crown Center for the day and checked out Kaleidoscope - a place I went to when I was a kid. It still exists! And it's free!



What a fun creative outlet for kids and from what I could tell during our visit Monday, we have a few more years to enjoy this place.

The rest of the week was busy with medical school teaching, basketball and a few sleepless nights (one was self-induced and the other due to a certain almost 3 year-old living under our roof). It's somewhat ironic that to this day I keep myself up until all hours of the night worrying about things - something I did as a child, torturing my own parents. Now, my daughter is keeping me up at night with her sleep issues. Ah, karma.

One of my resolutions for this year was to eat more veggies - and I am! That goal has been easily attained thanks to a couple new cookbooks we got for Christmas. I am working on a post to share a few of them. But the best recipe by far was this week's Brussels Sprouts and Tofu with porcini mushrooms and red chili. It is from Plenty by Yotam Ottolenghi and it might just be the best dish we've made in years. Years!


I saw this video posted on A Cup of Jo the other day and I like this philosophy - eat anything you like, just cook it yourself. I've made that statement before in regards to sweets. As long as I bake it myself, it is fair game. I think it is a good approach for all foods. Eat french fries, just cook them yourself - bet you won't have them very often!


Happy weekend and healthy eating!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Children know best

Just say Yes!

Izzy's rainbow party - behind the scenes