Craving chocolate cookies


My sister in law sent me this recipe a while ago and it has been sitting in my digital recipe box (Evernote, if you haven't tried it, you should). I've been eating really healthy, exercising daily (!) and haven't baked in a long time. My cookie sheets were calling me. Except I was out of butter and brown sugar, so my go to cookie recipe wasn't going to cut it.

I searched through my recipes to find something that did not include butter or brown sugar and these lovely Chocolate Puddle cookies popped up. Turns out I was still short 2 egg whites for this recipe, but by this point I was going to make these cookies or bust. A quick Google search gave me some valuable information about egg white substitutes, and after a huge mess involving flax seed and our coffee grinder, I was ready to bake! The puddle cookies tasted great, but I think the consistency was a bit off due to my emergency egg white swap. If you stick with the plan below, you should be golden. 6 simple ingredients, no mixer needed. Enjoy!

Chocolate Puddle Cookies from 101Cookbooks.com

Ingredients:
3 cups walnut halves, toasted & cooled
4 cups confectioner's sugar
1/2 cup plus 3 T unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
4 large egg whites, room temperature
1 tablespoon real vanilla extract

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 320F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Once the walnuts have cooled, coarsley chop and set aside.
3. Sift together the sugar, cocoa, and sea salt (note: I did not sift, tasted fine). Stir in the walnuts, then add the egg whites and vanilla. Stir until well combined.
4. Spoon heaping tablespoons of batter onto the cookie sheets allowing plenty of room between the cookies. They will expand. No more than 6 cookies per sheet should do the trick. Bake until they puff up and the tops look glossy and a bit crackled. This should take 12-15 minutes.
5. Slide the cookies onto a cooling rack while still on the parchment paper - they will be sticky and gooey until they cool completely. Store in an airtight container for a couple days - if you can avoid eating them all at once!

Makes 18 large cookies


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Children know best

Just say Yes!

Izzy's rainbow party - behind the scenes